Thursday, October 29, 2009

It was bound to happen

When i was growing up and really doing graffiti around 1993 I knew 3-4 graffiti writers. There was no internet to go onto and post pictures and link up with writers. It was a time when your graffiti on the streets got you fame. We didnt wake up in the morning to go get pics to post on the internet. It wasent until I pretty much quit doing graffiti that I actually met other writers.

The reason im going into this is because in this day and age it seems people are way too comfortable posting their faces and personal info on the net. Its like you can see what almost any graffiti writer looks like. When I was growing up I didnt know what anyone looked like. Graffiti writers were anonymous and they didnt put themselves on blast like people do today. It was a simple time in the graffiti world, do work and get noticed. I remember hearing Revok was a asian dude. We didnt know and had no way to verify. Shit should of stayed anonymous, after all the acts you are committing are illegal. Well it seems once again having your face on blast has come to bite Revok in his ass.

Oh and by the way this is not singling out revok, its to everyone who is still painting illegally but you can google search and see there face.


* Font Size: Decrease Increase
* Print Page: Print

October 29, 2009
Article from: Australian Associated Press

AN American who graffitied Melbourne buildings and posted pictures of his work on his webpage has been handed a suspended jail sentence.

Jason Steven Williams, known by his tag Revok promised on his Twitter page to "paint as much as I can" while in Melbourne.

During his two-week spree Williams tagged several inner Melbourne buildings, including St Vincent's Hospital, the Melbourne Magistrates Court heard.

He also sprayed a train and train overpasses.

Williams' decision to post the graffiti on his website and Twitter page proved to be his downfall.

Police seized his camera, mobile phone and laptop when they arrested him at Melbourne Airport as he tried to go home to the United States.

He spent last night and much of today in custody.

In court later, Williams, 32, of Los Angeles, pleaded guilty to nine counts of criminal damage.

The court heard Williams came to Australia on October 13 to participate in a legal graffiti event that was cancelled because the promoter encountered financial troubles.

Following the cancellation he wrote: "F*** this shit. I am going to paint as much as I can and then get the f*** out of here."

As he left the Melbourne Custody Centre, Williams said he was sorry for what he had done.

"I feel very remorseful, very remorseful," he said.

Asked if he knew what he was doing was illegal he replied: "Shit happens, what are you going to do?"

"I just do what I do. I came here, I did some stuff, maybe I did some things I shouldn't have done, I apologise," he said.

Williams said it would not be wise for him to comment on whether he thought he had improved Melbourne.

Magistrate Ian von Einem was told Williams had no prior convictions.

Sentencing Williams, Mr von Einem said he had done a disservice to those pushing for greater acceptance of graffiti's legitimacy.

The court was told Williams had legitimate exhibitions coming up in Los Angeles and Miami.

Mr von Einem sentenced Williams to nine months prison, wholly suspended for two years.

He also ordered Williams pay $15,340 in damages.

Leaving court, Williams joked that the currency exchange wasn't good and he couldn't have picked a worse time to have to pay a fine.

heres the old one

No comments: